Monday, March 4, 2013

33 Weeks and Counting... Hopefully. :)

Last Friday I had a doctors appointment and everything looked good.  She was growing well and all.  She asked me if I was still spotting, I said yes.  She said if it continued until 34 weeks they would at that time schedule a non-stress test for the baby.  Then I told her about my awful braxton hicks I've been having.  I told her they are sharp pain, like labor a little and that they hurt really low.  She asked me (since with Kaiser I don't get to see the same doctor every time and this was the first time seeing her) how many pregnancies I've had.  I told her this was my fifth and then she asked how old I was...  I told her.  She then asked how many babies I was planning on having.  I told her we were shooting for seven...  She said that perhaps after all is said and done I might rethink my plans?
Many a doc has said that.  In fact every single pregnancy I have had I've been asked, 'So what kind of birth control are you thinking of using after this baby?'  This was however the first time I didn't get the feeling she asked because that is what the world asks, but rather she actually was concerned that my body is about done having babies.  I'm not too worried about it, however I may place some more space in between this one and the next.  Anyway, after that she decided then that we should just go ahead and schedule the non-stress tests from here on out.  She said she hopes I can make it to term, but if not, they would just like to monitor me closely from here on out.  So, this Friday I get to go in and start doing those.

I actually think it is a good idea.  For awhile now, with the way my 'braxton hicks' feel so much like contractions, I have sort of felt like this baby would come early.  Yesterday sort of really solidified that for me.  I woke up at 7 and had pains coming every six minutes for an hour and a half.  Each one felt like the after-birth pain, which for me...  Is like labor pain.  I couldn't smile through them, I had to remind myself to relax because they were making me all tense...  It. was. bad.  After that they slowed down and the pain was the typical pain I have been feeling this pregnancy but they never stopped all day until 8:30 pm.  I stayed home from church yesterday because I felt like I really needed to rest and not push it.  Around 5:00pm they started to be five minutes apart again and they lasted for more than an hour like that and again, it wasn't until 8:30 that they slowed down to the point where I felt like I could take a rest.  I was so emotionally, physically, and mentally drained.  I was pretty hormonal too.  I cried. I know it sounds silly, but the whole day I was thinking, should I go in?  Do they need to stop this?  Is my body really preparing to have this baby early?  I had called my sister that morning and had kept her up to date throughout the day.  She's had six babies and she said it sounded like labor to her, and that she was pretty concerned.  Noelle can come in three weeks, but not now.  I don't want her to have to stay at the hospital, I want to bring her home right away like the others.  I've heard stories about babies being born now and being fine, I am not too worried, I know all is in the Lord's hands, but now more than ever I feel like we will see her sooner than later.  Today was more normal.... Though, I have had many a braxton hick to accompany my day.

I am sure I just sound crazy, but, this is my fifth time doing this.  Waaay to many similarities between my real labors and what happened yesterday.  It could be that she will go to full term and that this activity just happened because my uterus ain't what it used to be.  Especially after my 10 pound 11oz fourth child.  But maybe that is what the doctor meant.  I am not upset she said what she said.  After what I've been feeling, there is a small part of me that thinks she may be right.  I'm a little confused though, I thought for sure my body could totally take on as many rounds as I wanted it too...    All I ask is that I will be able to have all the babies that want to come to us and that it be alright.  That is what any mother asks.  I am thankful for all of the uneventful pregnancies I have been blessed to have, and pray that I may be able to see the next couple through if the Lord wills it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Naomi! We will definitely be keeping you and Noelle in our prayers! You are such a strong mommy and I know that the Lord will guide you in the right direction. We love you so much and hope that things start to get uneventful for you soon! =)

Stephanie M. said...

You don't sound silly or crazy at all--you're totally in the right to be worried about premature labor because what you've written to me doesn't sound good at 34 weeks.. I would be crying too! I think your doctor is right to have you doing weekly NSTs. Take it easy. We'll keep you guys in our prayers!

Sean and Sierra said...

Naomi, I admire you so much. I love that you want 7 children! Family is the most important thing. Maybe, like you said, space the next few a little more. But I know Heavenly Father will bless you and your sweet family. I will keep you and Noelle in my prayers.