Sunday, January 31, 2010

World's Without Number

On Friday, we woke up, had no idea what we were going to do, but it was our baby's birthday so we knew we had to do something fun, so we looked up on the internet about cool things to do in California and the 
Griffith Observatory
popped up.
It's free and it's absolutely AWESOME!!
Here's just one view.......



P.S. You can see the Hollywood sign from here too, it's just from the other angle though, sorry! :)



This is where Ethan learned that the earth rotates around the sun, he said,
"Oh, now I understand!"


This is how they are finding the island Jack and Kate are on:)
Just kidding, this is a pendulum and it is here to prove that the earth is in motion.


It hangs from this ceiling.
This mural is.......
interesting.
Let's just say, it's not my style:)




Along this wall that is behind Ethan, they have a picture of a lady who got hit by a meteorite!
She lived, don't worry! :)
She was sleeping on her couch when a meteor came through her ceiling and bounced and hit her.
CRAZY!



What are they staring at?


A moon rock baby!
A moon rock!


Buki was VERY concerned about how it was broken.
He said
 "It's broken and so they are trying to fix it here huh!  Yah, they're trying to fix it here."



We all got to touch the finger of Einstein.






Ethan was so funny, I am sure you all have seen Star Wars right?
Well, Ethan thought for sure that Einstein was frozen like Hans Solo!
 Ethan was like, "Dad, why did they freeze him?  When are they gonna let him out?"


Ok, ok, I'll tell you, I'll tell you!
I weigh, 430lbs......
On Jupiter!


Pluto was a little more kind.......


We saw a video about the Observatory, we highly recommend it.
It's not terribly exciting, but it's quite interesting:)





My boys got to look through the very very large telescope and see the moon up close.


Happily waiting in line:)
For the moment......



   
The view from up top.
Absolutely incredible, I didn't want to stop looking.
 

This was totally cool
At least I thought so.
This periodic table had a sample of pretty much every element!
Seriously, so awesome!


Have you ever heard of this?


Or this...... STRONTIUM?!
Then you have payed way more attention in science class than I did!


Ok, this looks weird but it's James Dean.
James Dean has a monument dedicated to him because he was in a movie made at the Observatory which is what helped to make the Observatory famous! :)
He's obviously more good looking in the movie......



After a quick trip to Del Taco......
We drove home, and when I looked back, I saw this........





And so.... that ends the trip to the Observatory.
Sorry, I know there was a lot of pictures to go through, but don't you feel like you were there with us?

4 comments:

Wade said...

Loved the pictures. Can you let Derek take all the pictures from now on? LOL We need to schedule a Wednesday get together.

La Vita Bella said...

How fun. I've been wanting to go there for a while now, and this has just increased my desire! Thanks for sharing. :)

Anonymous said...

What fun the kids looked like they really enjoyed it! What a fun way to spend a birthday.

The Everts said...

Oh we are for sure going there! It looks like so much fun!!