Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Cleaning Fairy

We had a problem with the cleanliness of our home being out of control again.  We were doing fantastically well before Derek went to Orlando and before all of the sickness hit.  After that however, we lost our groove, along with all of my energy, and have been since trying to figure out a way to get the cycle back in place.  My kids, who in the beginning were very helpful, also decided to take a detour in their enthusiasm and needless to say, we have had a few frustrating days.

SO, after being super frustrated about the inconsistency of our house being cleaned, I decided there had to be a better plan and some super incentives to maintaining our household on a daily basis.  I want their rooms clean and the house in order everyday.  I simply can not function in a mess.  I get grumpy.  I also get grumpy if I have to be on their case to get it done.  They have to want to do it.  There is simply too many of them to have to stay on top of like a nag.  I need order and I need more willingness from them.  Obviously, I need some better parenting skills.  Anyway....  

Here is the brilliant plan, or I guess I should say goals, and here is how these goals will be accomplished:

If the children can maintain their chores and their rooms for an entire year, Derek and I will get Season Passes to Disneyland.  I figure that is good because we will have a year to save up for them and by the time a year of maintenance is through, don't you think the habit of keeping things clean will be there?  I do.  New habits will have formed.  Now, this task may seem a bit daunting, I get that, so this is how it will be done.  Every day through out the day I will remind them of the big goal.  Every night, an hour or two before bed I will look around the house and say something about what has to get done so they get their sticker for the day.  Hopefully with this routine, the house will not ever get so out of control they feel too overwhelmed.  You see, they each have their own jobs....

Ethan: Living room, dining area, his room.
Tai: Hallway, playroom, his room.
Evey: Table washer, playroom, her room.
Callen: Be cute and help wherever.

Not too difficult.  So, it shouldn't be too hard to maintain.  Anyway, if by the time they go to bed, all of their things are in order, they get their sticker for the day.
They have already earned two.  Two down, 363 stickers to go.

Again, this task can seem a bit daunting so, I decided to have a talk with the Cleaning Fairy and ask her to come to our house throughout the year and leave a treat for those who do their chores, and a note for those who do not.  You never know when she will come, she just comes, and if your chores are done and your room is clean, she will leave a treat.  If she comes and you are not prepared, she will leave a note to say she had been there and sorry she could not leave a treat this time and that she hopes next time she comes she will be able to leave the treat.

She may come at night, she may come during the day.  No one knows but you must be ready.

Meeting the requirements of the Cleaning Fairy are much more reasonable than saying a whole year they will do such and such, but hey, if you know the Cleaning Fairy is coming at any time, you learn to just be ready.  With these incentives, I believe the children will learn the habit of maintenance.  Like Tai said to Ethan the other night, we can do this the hard way or the easy way.  The hard way is to have to clean up a lot.  The easy way is to do it hard once and then do the little stuff everyday.  Thank you Tai.  You don't know it, but that is EXACTLY what I have been saying for a VERY LONG TIME NOW.  Maintenance.  However he needs to word it, fine.

Thank you Cleaning Fairy.  The kids are very excitedly awaiting your treats!  And I can not wait to go to Disneyland again.  That is enough incentive for me to happily make sure they maintain throughout the day.  I'm a true kid at heart.

Any thoughts on this or any suggestions folks?


2 comments:

Unknown said...

That sounds like a great incentive! And I think a year will be great because it is long enough that they don't just fake their drive to keep a clean home, they actually end up with the desire for a clean home and a clutter free life! I think you are awesome! I know this is something that I struggle with some times. It's hard when I feel like a clean the house 10 times a day.

The Over Family said...

What a great idea!!!!!! I love it. I'll have to steal this idea too. ;)